Tuesday 17 July 2007

Ozomatli

The last time I saw Ozomatli perform was for their first record release party/concert in 1998 at the House of Blues Sunset Strip in Los Angeles. I had connections by way of my 'brother from another mother,' Manuel Delgado (Delgado Guitars), a third generation guitar maker who'd made a guitar for Ozomatli guitarist, Raul "El Bully" Pacheco.

My ears are still ringing as I've returned from seeing them perform at The Arches here in Glasgow. In true Ozomatli fashion, the venue was jumping (quite literally) to the up tempo fusion of Latin, hip hop, jazz, funk, reggae, and rock that defines Ozomatli. This nine-piece, multiethnic band puts on a show like few other bands I've seen (up there with Fishbone & The Mighty Mighty BossTones), and they endear themselves to the audience by thoroughly engaging them throughout the show. From start to finish there is literally no lull in the performance. E-N-E-R-G-Y is just about the only word that accurately describes their stage presence.

Unlike 99% of the gigs you'll go to where the band finishes their set with a warm farewell and a 'thanks for coming out," Ozomatli, in their entirety, exited stage center directly into the welcoming arms of the crowd, where they set themselves up in the center of the Arches and initiated a drum & horns jam that veritably rocked the red brick catacombs. Closing with an enthusiastic conga line that ended in a crescendo of beating drums and blaring horns, the band esteemed themselves to the crowd once more as they closed their final number to a fury of applause and howls.

After the show I sought out Raul "El Bully" Pacheco who was surprisingly and pleasantly accessible. We talked of the show in LA and of our mutual friend, Manuel. He asked what I was doing after the show to which I responded, "Dude, I have three of the most beautiful young women in Glasgow sleeping at home, waiting for my return. I'm going there."
If you ever have the opportunity to see them perform live, I highly, highly, highly recommend it. But drink your Red Bull... you'll need the energy boost.

No comments: